Aromatherapy For Stress Relief:
Inhale and Relax
Aromatherapy for stress relief is very effective as it works on the part of your brain which controls feelings and emotions and so has a great affect on our mood.
How Does Aromatherapy Work?
The essential oils work on both the mind and the body simultaneously when we either smell the aroma or absorb the oil through the skin.
The molecules of the scent enters our blood stream and interacts with our own hormones and enzymes and affects our overall body chemistry.
The molecules also interact with our body systems and so can calm or stimulate the immune, digestive and nervous systems.
Using The Oils For Aromatherapy For Stress Relief
Essential oils can be used in several ways all of which are helpful to relieve stress.
Some ways to use aromatherapy for stress relief:
- Oil burners – oils are heated in water over a small candle. The aroma is released into the room as it warms up.
- Ring Burners – A ring made from terracotta or porcelain is placed around the glass of a light bulb, so as the bulb heats up the oil in the ring warms up and releases the scent.
- Vaporizers – They emit steam scented with essential oils into the room
- Diffusers – They emit a cold-water spray containing the essential oil
- Inhalations – Add essential oils to a bowl of hot water and place head over the steaming bowl.
- Baths – Oils can be added to hot baths and is a great way to use aromatherapy for stress relief, especially after a long hard day.
- Massage – Oils can be blended together in a carrier oil and massaged into the skin
Aromatherapy For A Good Nights Sleep
Using essential oils at bedtime can help to relax mind and body to relieve tension and help you get to sleep. Oils, which are great for sleep aid, are:
- Rose Otto
As a sleep aid:
- Rub a blend into your feet just before bedtime
- Have a relaxing aromatherapy bath before bedtime
2 drops frankincense oil
2 drops lavender oil
2 tablespoons of carrier oil such as grape seed oil or sweet almond oil
2 drops of lavender oil
1 drop chamomile oil
1 drop sandalwood oil
De Stress Your Facial Muscles
Stress can often cause us to screw up our faces or clench our jaws without us really realizing it. Unfortunately tense muscles can lead to further long term pain, in the case of tense facial muscles, severe headaches can occur.
Use a facial aromatherapy massage to help relax the muscles and release the tension.
1 drop neroli oil
1 drop lavender oil
1 drop geranium oil
1 tablespoon of carrier oil such as grape seed for normal skin or Sweet Almond oil for all skin types.
- Pin back hair
- Cleanse face using plain water, pat face dry.
- Pour a little of your oil blend into your hand and rub them together to warm the oil
- Starting from your chin area sweep both hands up together to spread the oil over your whole face, avoid eyes.
- Tap with your fingers along your jaw line to help increase circulation
- Move fingers up towards your cheekbones and tap gently along and up to the centre of the cheekbones under the eye area.
- Massage under and along cheekbones out towards the temples.
- Gently massage both temples using just middle and ring fingers
- Press between your eyes brows with ring fingers, and then circle the eye area with a soft pressure. Do this four or five times.
- Massage in small circles around chin, make lips into an “o” shape whilst doing this.
- Then whilst in this position gently massage up to around the smile line area.
- To finish remove any excess oil with a tissue but do not wash off. Allow oils to soak into the skin over night to help soften.
Don’t exceed stated doses or oils
Essential Oils are for external use only
Oils should always be used in a carrier oil when placed on the skin (unless stated differently)
Do not go out into the sun until after six ours after using essential oils as some oils can make the skin photosensitive
Do not use if you are pregnant
Stress Reduction Techniques Pages
Stress Relief WS